Here are some simple tips on how to keep your fish pond clean. This is in particular to outdoor koi fish ponds.
An integral part of maintaining your Koi fish pond is to make sure that it is clean. This is pretty much basic but should be repeated over and over for its utmost importance. The water should be clean. Water in the pond should be free from any toxins, clear, and de-chlorinated. Make sure that your fish is living in the best possible water conditions.
Another good thing to take into consideration in the maintenance of your pond is to make sure that you prevent any build up of organic wastes. This is directly related or concerned to the number of fish in your pond. It is nice to see a good number of fish in your pond but you should always make sure that there is no over population of fish. This could lead to too much organic wastes that can destroy the PH levels of the water.
Observe, study, and learn on how much food is needed to feed your fish. Giving too much food will cause excess to settle at the bottom floor. These excess foods will eventually add to the toxicity of the water and will definitely harm your fish.
Here are some basic and well known ways on how to clean the pond:
1. You can use nets to lift out any wastes that are floating.
2. You can use filters at the bottom of the pond to remove algae and mud.
3. Look for biological means to change toxins into harmless matter.
4. Add fountains or waterfalls to aerate water. This is also a good way for water to keep moving in the pond, making sure that no mosquitoes will flourish from stagnant water.
A home remedy tip is by adding baking soda or barley straw extract to regulate algae growth and maintain pH levels of the water. Also Koi's have a tendency to release a lot of waste. It is important to regularly check and clean your pond or tank annually.
Some other points that you should take into consideration in taking care of your Koi fish pond:
1. Placing your Koi on an aerated tank that is shaded. Yup, fish can also die from heat stroke.
2. Checking accessories installed in the pond for any damages. Make routine checkups to make sure that everything is working accordingly.
3. Pressure wash the pond to clear mud and other debris.
4. Placing back all the parts of the pond or tank bank and making sure water is de-chlorinated.
5. Putting water back in to pond or tank and transferring back the Koi's. Don not forget to check water levels when you transfer back your Koi’s to their pond.
Check out our aquarium fish store.